This theater was built between 1877 and 1878 (when Trieste was still under Austria) by private shareholders. Nicolò Bruno, a Genoese architect, was entrusted with the design. Politeama Rossetti was inaugurated on April 27, 1878, with the ballet Pietro Micca, and has since been appreciated both for its great seating capacity (5000 seats, reduced to 1500 in the 1900’s) and for its beautiful auditorium and foyer. A characteristic feature of the theater was its opening roof. In 1880 it was sold to the Municipality of Trieste starting a series of brilliant seasons including operettas and musicals, drama, shows with acrobats, wrestlers, animal tamers and riders. During the 20th century after closing down several times for restoration work to be carried out, the last one in 1999, Politeama Rossetti is now again one of the most active theaters in Trieste.